"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us."



-Marianne Williamson



background

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Just visiting...

My son is off on his big adventure to become a Marine. I said goodbye to the little man I raised and I am waiting to be introduced to the fine young man that 13 life changing weeks in boot camp will create. When he was sworn in to be a Marine, they gave me a big red "VISITOR" sticker to identify me as family of one of the recruits. Although, I can't imagine someone mistaking a 45 year old grandmother of 8 for a new recruit I guess there is a reason that we have to be identified as such. Then, it hit me, I was forever more just a "visitor" in every aspect of my son's life. He was in charge now and it was up to him. I had to let go and find a seat on the sidelines and watch with pride at the first of many choices that he will make.

I would be lying if I said fear was not in the mix of emotions I am surrounded by at this time. However I am trying to live by faith and trust that all my son's prayers will be answered and his needs will be filled. I researched to find the meaning of the familiar phrase "Semper Fi". I was told it stands for always faithful. As a mother of a soon to be Marine, I suppose Semper Fi also means having faith not only in my son but in the wise men who are teaching him and guiding him to grow beyond his limits. I know that the men who are screaming in his face and pushing him to do more are also the men who believe that he has it in him to make it. It's also nice to think that someone else is going to be yelling at him more than a mother could have ever imagined and telling him to clean his room and make his bed everyday...dang that will make me look like the nicest mom on the block since I can honestly say I have never screamed at him for not achieving perfect hospital corners when making his bed (uh, I mean Rack)!!! lol

As the Marines arrive at the training facility and line up on the yellow foot prints where thousands who have gone before them have also stood. I wonder what is going thru his head. I wonder what it feels like to be standing at the edge of forever and taking that first step. I pray that my son remembers who he is and can feel the love of all the hundreds of family members and friends who are praying for him and wishing him all the best. You can do this son. I Love You, Mom

No comments:

Followers