"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us."



-Marianne Williamson



background

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hare Heaven

The synchronistic events as of late here on the farm interest me. My neighbor mentioned wanting to get rid of some of their rabbits. The next morning my youngest daughter asked me if she could have a baby bunny for her birthday. We couldn't wait until July and we wanted her to have the baby bunnies so now was the time.  We met at IFA and selected all of the rabbit paraphernalia. We have a "Wabbitat" big enough for 2 bunnies, the watering bottle, the salt lick, the bunny pellets, and of course a bunny "leash" so she can "walk" her rabbit around the farm. Our cart is full and I am in line at the checkstand.   My husband has to leave for work and I am left to pay for and haul our rabbit gear back home.

My husband and daughter chased down 2 rabbits at the neighbors and brought them back to the "wabbitat". No good deed goes unpunished. I was holding "Daisy", the larger brown bunny, then Lexie was determined she was going to get that rabbit on a leash and take it for a walk. Of course, I am the one holding the rabbit while she struggles to get the leash on the poor creature. Daisy had enough of this and she demonstrated her feelings on my lap and let's just say she was "pissed" about the whole thing. So here I am, soaked with Daisy's protest. I think the only thing that wasn't wet was my socks.

The next day, Lexie is becoming more confident in handling her 2 rabbits. After telling my oldest daughter Chalyce about the rabbits, now she wants one for my granddaughter Sammy Jo. So off we go, back to the bunny patch to snag another rabbit. That in itself was not quite as easy as it sounds. Luckily, we found a really cute black bunny in a trap so I said "Tag...you're it!" and we named this one "Lucky". We just got home with "Lucky" and Lexie has the "Wabbitat" door open and isn't quite watching the tiny rabbit she named "little bunny foofoo". All of a sudden, like a flash, Foofoo see's the opportunity for freedom and takes off like a bullet out of the Wabbitat.

Keep in mind, we have been trying to train our Scotty dog, Maddie, not to eat the bunnies and she is having a hard time because she thinks these are just her "scoobie snacks." So here I am, a rabbit in my arms, a scotty dog, drooling, running after the escapee and Lexie crying, trying to catch little bunny foo foo and save her from the evil Scotty dog. I managed to pick up Maddie with one arm and hold onto the other rabbit while I put Maddie in the back of my truck so she couldn't get to little bunny foofoo who has now conveniently found the perfect hiding place in some stickerbushes. As I am cursing Lexie for not keeping a tighter hold on "her" rabbits, I realize that I am the idiot that purchased these fabulous little creatures so it's really my own fault. I survived the attack of the sticker bushes to rescue the rabbit. We were able to round up all the rabbits and corral them back into the wabbitat and restore peace and happiness back on the farm. The only casualty was my black leather jacket that was shredded by sharp rabbit claws trying to defend itself. (Note to self, never hold a rabbit and a Scotty Dog at the same time.)

Today I wondered how I became such a sucker for a kid and her desire to create her own personal Noah's Ark here on the farm. She has 2 horses, 2 rabbits, 2 cats... Where does it end? My desire to give her all the opportunities of country living tends to override my common sense that tells me I should say no. Apparently, next weekend I am going to build a chicken coop for the baby chick's that she's had her eye on at the local IFA and Stan thinks that baby ducks are even cuter...here we go again!

Well, gotta go. I have horses to feed, poop to scoop and bunnies to snuggle. All in all I guess it's really not such a bad gig after all.

No comments:

Followers